1. This object casts the shadow that causes a solar eclipse.
5. This marks the place where once every month the Moon comes closest to the Earth.
6. A partial shadow.
7. Objects in the sky _____ in the east.
8. Due to the rotation of the Earth, objects _____ in the west.
11. When looking south, _____ is to your left.
13. The totally dark, inner shadow of an object.
14. Due to its monthly motion, the Moon rises and sets about 50 minutes _____ each day.
17. The Sun transits at _____.
18. A "waxing quarter" Moon can also be called a "____ quarter" Moon.
19. A _____ eclipse can only occur during a full Moon.
21. We don't get eclipses every month because the orbit of the Moon is _____ with respect to the ecliptic.
24. A lunar eclipse can occur only during this phase of the Moon.
26. A _____ eclipse can only occur when the Moon is at its new phase.
27. The Moon's apparent daily motion causes it to appear to move _____ from one hour to the next (to the right when looking south).
29. The _____ rotation of the Earth causes the Moon to rise and set each day.
30. If the Moon's umbra passes over you, then you will experience a _____ solar eclipse.
31. This marks the place where once every month the Moon gets furthest from the Earth.
1. The time it takes for one complete cycle of phases of the Moon to repeat.
2. This phase of the Moon occurs when the Moon appears less than 90º to the left or right of the Sun.
3. A solar eclipse can occur only during this phase of the Moon.
4. The spinning of the Earth is an example of this motion.
5. If the Moon's penumbra passes over you, then you will experience a _____ solar eclipse.
6. This lunar phenomenon is caused by the changing angles between the Earth, Sun, and Moon.
9. The time it takes for one complete revolution of the Earth around the Sun.
10. This waxing phase of the moon rises at noon.
12. The first quarter Moon transits at _____.
15. The type of solar eclipse occurs which can occur when the Moon new and is near apogee.
16. This object casts the shadow that causes a lunar eclipse.
20. When the Moon or Sun _____s, it is halfway between rising and setting (and visible high in the south).
22. A "waning quarter" Moon can also be called a "third quarter" or "____ quarter" Moon.
23. An _____ occurs when the Moon passes in front of the Sun or when the Moon passes into the Earth's shadow .
25. The path of the Moon around the Earth is its _____.
27. When looking south, _____ is to your right.
28. The time it takes for one complete rotation of the Earth on it's axis.